Following an announcement that several students in surrounding schools had been diagnosed with some sort of new H1N1 strain, public health officials came to the school on Monday to distribute surgical masks to everyone. They (I think, though I never actually understand a word that's said here) mandated that all students and teachers wear the masks and they closed the school for the remainder of the day. And then at lunchtime yesterday my supervisor told me that the decision has been made to cancel school for the remainder of the week. woo hoo! It's like having three snow days... except instead of snow it's infectious disease. I'm taking good care to wash my hands and steer clear of the ill children, so I'm sure I'll be just fine.
If the heat isn't stifling enough already, we now have to wear what feels like a chunk of wool sweater over our mouths and noses all day.
On a lighter note, I enjoyed some fabulous som tam (spicy green papaya salad) yesterday:

Uncle Steve from Philly checking in. Your Dad gave me your blog address and I'm enjoying catching up on all of your gastronomical exploits. Should we send a care package of Tums and Pepto? My email address is: stevenspatz@comcast.net
ReplyDeleteThat's a great look for you.
ReplyDeleteYeah, no kidding Maarika. You know you can make your very own one of these fabulous accessories with just an old pair of sweatpants, a couple pieces of string and some scissors! functional, fashionable and frugal!
ReplyDeleteAs your attorney ( and physician), I strongly recommend you stay away from pigs, both porcine and human. The mask may or may not help; you can run, but you cannot hide. But seriously, kiddo, be careful: wash your hands frequently, avoid hacking, coughing types and, of course, eat only those reptiles you know and can rely on. And how are the drivers there? (don't get me started)
ReplyDeleteI love your blog, by the way, and hope you are having as much fun as it seems. Adventures in foodland, indeed. But you couldn't even mention your Old Dad's b-day in your 6/13 entry? Not to lay any guilt trips, and don't worry about it; I'm sure it kills him, but don't it shouldn't spoil your fun.
Thanks Dr. Guy, I'm glad you're reading the blog! I will heed your professional (and wise, as always) advice. I'm doing my best to dodge the packs of pigs that roam BKK. Dodging the cars, as you know, is a bit trickier..
ReplyDeleteand thanks for pointing out my failure to mention dear pappy's birthday on the 13th. you know my birthday was the 9th - I haven't heard any birthday wishes from you yet...
Though your picture is hilarious and the comments from your friends rather witty, I can't make a joke about any of this! I'll feel better when flu season and the swine flu scare are over.
ReplyDelete