while walking home today I discovered a new fruit, the salak. the woman who i normally buy fruit from sits by the side of my our neighborhood street in a lawn chair with her husband and young daughter. Arranged in front of them are cardboard boxes of fruits with prices displayed on scraps of cardboard stuck into each fruit pile - 20/kilo, 10/kilo, 30/kilo. On the pavement today lay an unfamiliar fruit box, full of spiky miniature footballs. for 20 baht I bought a full kilo. and some mangosteens and lychees.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

while they sound like they could be delicious they look so creepy in their little casing when you can see of three of them. Theyre like worms
ReplyDeleteDid you take these pictures yourself? They are beautiful! I am very very impressed with your photography skills, my dear.
ReplyDeletealthough, I have to second Amelia's comment. The salak look a little creepy, as if I would see them on the discovery channel or maybe on Strange Foods with Andrew Zimmerman...
by the way, I don't know why it put my name as Elizabeth and not Liz. In case you were wondering :)
ReplyDeleteYes, Miss Elizabeth (I figured it was you, liz) I'm using the same little Nikon I've been using for years... i've had a lot of time on my hands to take millions of photos of my food, so every 100th photo or so works out.
ReplyDeleteand I have to agree with the both of you, there is a distinct creepiness about this fruit. i haven't even told you yet about the weird skin-like membrane stretched across the little pods..
and amelia, you know better than to say worms. you're going to ruin this fruit for me.
Well I just want to weigh in with my opinion that this whole website is just awesome! I've been informed, entertained, amazed, and jealous. Keep up the extraordinarily great work. I can't wait for the next installment and another opportunity to marvel at your creative talents.
ReplyDeleteGreg
The fruit looks intriguing. I'll have to come to Thailand to try some.
ReplyDeleteGreg: thanks for the words of encouragement and support. It's such fun knowing you guys back home are reading my ramblings about my life here!
ReplyDeleteMummy: yes. yes you will. and hurry up won't you?