Saturday, June 6, 2009

moanKEY! moanKEY!

Bashful and coy at first, my students used to stay in their seats, look away when spoken to, giggle and bury their heads when asked a question. Now, at the end of week three, things are different. I've got children climbing on tables to jump on my back, children yelling out unintelligible (and usually entirely wrong) answers to questions, children throwing scissors like darts. simply a joy to have in class each day.

and now a couple of the little boys in my grade 5 and 6 classes have taken a liking to the hair on my arms. It started with Mon (a 5th grader) who'd walk up next to me and casually run his miniature fingers along my arm as he sidled by in the hallways. Getting bolder and bolder everyday, he now will get up while I'm speaking in front of the class to stand next to me and stroke my arms. I do believe that it's pure fascination on his part, so i mostly just let him pet a couple of times and then he'll go sit back down. some of the boys will call out to me when they've finished their work, "Teacher, teacher! arm, arm!" I'll go over and let them yank on my furry forearms for a few seconds and then they're satisfied. It's hilarious to watch - weird, but hilarious.

fuzzy object of fascination

The best reaction yet, though, was from a grade 4 boy who, seeing my arms up close for the first time, yelled "moanKEY! moanKEY! moanKEY!" (his pronunciation was, of course, poor but he got his point across.) I'll tell you, nothing makes a girl feel more special than being called a hairy monkey.

8 comments:

  1. nice to hear you're doing so well.
    :O)
    stay fuzzy.
    -maarika

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha! oh my gosh, michelle, i cannot stop laughing!!! but the ultimate question is: have they seen your legs yet?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz beat me to it, but I was going to ask: "Do they pet your legs too?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. you do have hairy arms! I must have been distracted by your legs before so i never noticed

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahahaha! jesus, you guys. I'll have you all know that I shaved my legs just this week. (...for the first time this month) Besides, my fluffy pelt in an evolutionary adaptation. it keeps me warm during my time in frigid Oregon.

    AND I'd like to note:

    Thais seem to literally have NO hair on their bodies besides their heads, eyebrows and eyelashes (Corvallisites: think Tom Richardson).
    so hairiness is relative.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As your mother I feel compelled to say that I think everyone is just jealous of your hairy arms honey!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, mummy. That's the support I'm looking for.

    ReplyDelete