This stuff is probably made out of rice flour and water, i'm thinking, stirred into a gelatinous paste and then mixed up with onion, spices and an unidentifiable chopped green vegetable (the green ones) and some strange orange fishy cubes (the lighter ones). On the bottom right are the uncooked blobs and on the left are the jelly blobs after a good greasy deep fry. I bought three for about 40 cents but, i'm afraid to say, they were the first thing here that i've been unable to finish due to utter disgustingness. Fishy, leafy, slimy jelly dripping with fat - i just couldn't do it.
inside of the squishy coconut ball
The outside of these spherical little treats is a rice flour dough (a lot like the outside of mochi ice cream - buy it at trader joe's) rolled in dried shredded coconut, and on the inside is a mixture of sugar and coconut, - has a sweet, almost burnt flavor.
Fresh lychee for 20 baht/kilo (about 50 USD cents)
Ripe, juicy mangoes -
bought a shopping bag full for 15 baht (40 cents, or so)
Paperthin green crepes filled with "hair"
bought a shopping bag full for 15 baht (40 cents, or so)
This crispy filling which looks (and feels a bit) like the hair on my old American Girl doll is similar to cotton candy, but instead of being soft and artificially flavored, this stuff is more like straw made of nothing but sugar - it crunches as you first bite into it, then immediately dissolves. I ate about 10 of these. [they're especially good with some mango slices tucked inside]

I'm not so sure about this custard stuffed pumpkin, michelle. how do you eat it? Are you supposed to eat both the custard and the pumpkin at the same time? Is it pleasing to the palate?
ReplyDeleteYup, you just scoop right in - eat the pumpkin and custard together. At least that's what I did.. though the Thais were probably watching me and laughing at the white girl doing it all wrong. Yes, i found it entirely pleasing to my palate, sweet and creamy and pumpkin-y (?), though you know I'm not picky.. I'll try and reproduce it for you next time we're on the same continent.
ReplyDeleteThis looks like the same kind of pumpkin I used to gag on every night at the dinner table when i was young.
ReplyDelete