This post recounts the events of an evening in July, during Amelia's visit...
For her first dinner in Bangkok I took millie to a Thonglor, a sidestreet off of Sukhumvit (the main artery connecting my province to bkk) well known for its street food vendors. One of the more famous vendors is the phat thai guy stationed right on the corner as you turn off the main road into the alley. It's almost always the same guy furiously tossing a wok full of noodles over a pit of leaping flames - a dramatic sight at nighttime - and he makes what, I guess, is a pretty good phat thai. but I'm not partial to the dish, really, so maybe I'm not the best judge. In any case, that's where millie and I and my friends nz and dai went for dinner. We bought a couple of Singha beers to share, and squished together on plastic stools at a little aluminum table in the crowded alley.
millie's order (chicken phat thai, slightly less spicy)After cleaning our plates I showed millie the real reason we came here...
mangoes and sticky rice with sweet/salty coconut cream!Even when mangoes aren't in season (like now), this place serves this sweet, creamy, chewy dessert. They charge way more than you normally pay during mango season, but it's worth it every once in a while.



Yum...I wish I were there to share scrumptious foods with you...perhaps you'll still be there during my spring break and I can come over and share an eating extravaganza with you!
ReplyDeleteyes, please! maybe i'll be down south and we can make it an eating AND diving extravaganza..
ReplyDelete