Sunday, September 27, 2009

สุขสันต์วันเกิด mummy!

.
It doesn't happen often but there are times here when I desperately wish I were at home in Portland. I'll get an email update from the Portland Farmers' Market, hear a news story from the pacific nw, flip through photos of skiing at Mt. Hood or eating pizza in Corvallis, or I'll talk to my family at home about the way our garden is overflowing with ripe tomatoes... and ugh. it's like a punch in the stomach. This morning has been one of those times.. after talking with my parents on skype, hearing tales of beautiful fall days spent outside, working on the house, going for walks and brisk evenings enjoying happy hour at the neighborhood cafe, celebrating my mum's birthday tomorrow, I've been aching for Oregon.

Slightly homesick and facing massive amounts of end-of-term paperwork to complete, I was in ultra lazy self-pity mode this morning so, logically, i put my work aside and played with my computer's "paint" function in honor of mummy's birthday...

Happy Birthday MummyTummy!
Eat a tomato for me.

alright... back to work.
s

3 comments:

  1. I know JUST how that feels Michelle!!! My mom sent a package from Oregon full of presents for my host family, and right there, the punch in the gut ; ) Luckily it doesn't last for too long... right? I should follow your example and play with paint next time that feeling creeps up... I'll let you know if I come up with anything as marvelous as your mom's b-day portrait!!

    Sending you Oregon love!!

    Keely

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll send you some "boy am I glad I'm not in Oregon" news... like the upcoming weather report, Beaver football results and latest antics by your beloved fleabag cat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A new person is being prepped today to manage the 2010 Pauling Legacy Award events in Portland. If you come back home before the first week in May,you'll be one of the honored guests...!--CSM

    ReplyDelete