Saturday, September 5, 2009

sweet egg custard.. with onions

s
Today was a good day. I got up early to start my laundry (a full day affair), and finally clean the house for the first time in too long. A welcome bright, sunny day after a week of clouds, I enjoyed it sitting in my tiny outdoor laundry area, talking to family on the phone and burning my pasty caucasian flesh.

In the afternoon I visited the market and bought way, way too much food. I almost invariably get carried away at the market, intoxicated by the sight and smell of so much food.. and purchase far more than one human could consume in a fortnight, let alone the 2 or 3 days that the food will actually keep. Today I unwittingly bought a treat that I first tried during millie's visit here. I do not enjoy this dessert. It's called kahnom maw gaeng and it's a custard made of eggs, coconut cream, palm sugar (this much is great), and topped with fried, thinly sliced onions (this is off-putting). If it weren't for the onion, I'd like the stuff just fine but with the onion this is just one thing I never want to consume again. The sharp, acidic onion-y flavor and oily texture just seems like a poor match for the sweet, delicate egg custard. there was a line for the stuff every time i walked by the stand, though, so maybe i need to give it another try.

kahnom maw gaeng by the river
.

4 comments:

  1. you forgot to mention the awkward experience that we had after i tried eating that without a spoon. Haha what an odd/wonderful day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha! you're right! i had forgotten about that encounter. definitely postworthy - i'll recount the story sometime soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounded great until you got to the onion part...I thought I had done something terribly wrong raising a child who doesn't like custard! I wonder why they add the onion? They must like the contrasting flavors and/or textures. It must be an aquired taste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think you're entirely correct, mummy. they're all about texture and flavor contrast.

    and don't you worry, you successfully instilled in me that undying love for a rich, creamy custard.

    ReplyDelete