Wednesday, September 9, 2009

cabbages and condoms

.
Yes, that's the name of a well-known Thai restaurant in Bangkok...

sign.

Recommended by local friends and by Lonely Planet for having relatively authentic food, Millie and I figured the place was worth a visit. Tucked away on Sukhumvit Soi 12, this location (there are a total of 5, i think) sits right next door to the head office of the Population and Community Development Association (PDA) of Thailand. The restaurant was apparently created to help support the PDA with its efforts to educate Thai people on the benefits of safe sex practices and the restaurant says that all proceeds go towards funding for the PDA's "social development projects."

The restaurant's decor is made almost exclusively out of condoms - this shouldn't be surprising, I suppose, though I was nonetheless taken aback when I first realized that lamp hanging over my head was draped with 100s of shiny red condoms. Between the lampshades, the sculptures, the costumed mannequins and the flowers in the garden, there must be enough condoms in the place to protect all of Bangkok for a full night..


a santa suit and a party dress
both made entirely of condoms (her boots are made of condom wrappers)


Captain Condom

Amelia and I sat in the outdoor courtyard/garden area and ordered a light lunch of som tam (spicy green papaya salad), some tom yam goong (tom yam soup with shrimp) and two fruit smoothies. Both of the dishes, while not spicy, were good and tasted fresh. For dessert we shared a bowl of kluay buat chee - bananas cooked in sweet coconut milk.. by far the best part of the meal

when condom promotion tries too hard
.

4 comments:

  1. Unusual and captivating post, my dear. It just strikes me that someone really ought to explain to the Thai people that condoms are not actually very effective if used in the making of clothing. I think they were intended otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot resist adding to the caption of the last photo a comma, followed by, "so to speak." (apologies to Kim)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greg - yes i think you're right. maybe they should refocus their program...

    Guy - ahem.

    Mummy - that was a comment.

    ReplyDelete