These bite-sized eggs are my favorite streetside snack lately. they're quail eggs fried up in the sort of ableskiver pans they use to cook a number of different foods here. The guy generously oils the little cast iron hemispheres and cracks a quail egg into each one. A couple minutes of cooking and he pops them out with a spoon and drops them onto a bed of shredded cabbage in a styrofoam bowl. When you place an order, he sets a couple of fresh, hot eggs on top and spritzes the whole thing with a spray bottle (like the ones we use at home to punish karl) of soy sauce. The result is a rich, salty, protein-rich snack, all for about 30 US cents.
On an un-food related note: I spent Sunday in my neighborhood doing laundry at home, swimming at the school pool with a group of (strangely un-supervised) second graders and buying groceries at the market. In the evening I nestled down in my sweltering bedroom and watched what is, perhaps, my number one favorite childhood movie (well, series of movies) ...




I want more information on "squid on a stick"... could be a big seller on the Portland waterfront
ReplyDeleteI LOVE the tales of Narnia, esp the BBC version! Just talking to some kids about the series today while making Aussie treats.
ReplyDeleteI'll post about squid-on-a-stick sometime soon... I actually think there's a new place in portland which apparently has some good s-o-a-s...
ReplyDeletehttp://www.pingpdx.com/
and Mummy: I'm going to try making lamingtons here. i'll let you know how they turn out. (and i've been eating vegemite sandwiches for breakfast most mornings lately)