Yesterday evening, hot and hungry, I went out for my last meal in the neighborhood. The hunched, frizzy-haired, toothy-smiled woman who lives two houses down was sitting on the curb munching on something as I walked by. She called out to ask where I was going (like she does every day) and I told her I was going to eat (like I do every day). She laughed and shook her head and talked to me in Thai for about a minute straight. and the whole time I smiled and laughed when she laughed and nodded my head vigorously when it seemed approprate and made the "uuhhhh, uuuhh" sound that means (as far as I can tell) "yes, yes, I see, ok, hmm, really?, interesting." Basically, "I'm listening to you." This is how our conversations normally go, but this evening I got a treat at the end. As I said goodbye she offered me a bag of little leaf-wrapped treats which she said were sweet and made of rice and tua, which in Thai is a broad word for nut, bean or seed. So I still had no idea what I was getting.
Turns out it was a sticky rice dessert. A little pink, yes pink, banana surrounded by coconutty sticky rice and some sweet black beans, all wrapped in a banana leaf and steamed.

Another beautiful-looking treat! Must have been bitter-sweet eating your last meal in the neighborhood you've been living in for the last 10 months. Have fun where ever you go from here. Know that our hearts go with you.
ReplyDeleteMum