Monday, October 5, 2009

makkaloons and a losing battle with the ants

.
I keep a grocery bag at school, full of candy to bribe my children into doing their schoolwork. I have to be careful about where I keep it, though, because of a number of predators...

The students are predator #1, but they're not terribly bright so if they can't readily see the candy they assume it's disappeared and forget about it. Next is my coworkers... mostly they're men who aren't interested in my strawberry loveheart sweets, but there is a certain candy-crazed teacher here whose name starts with "I" and ends with "vy" but she's so small she really can't eat enough to put a dent in my supply.

The most troublesome and wily predator, as it turns out, is the ant population in my office. They're a menace, they're multiplying and they seem to be getting smarter. I play a strange sort of game trying to stay one step ahead these horrible little creatures as time after time they discover each one of my new hiding places. I suppose I could just bring an airtight container to store the candy in and be done with it, but I think I derive some sort of odd satisfaction from watching the little guys scurry around in a frenzy each time they're foiled and I move the bag to another corner of the room.

I recently bought some tasty coconut sweets at the market by my house. Last week I brought them to school and, determined not to let the ants discover my sugary treasures, stashed them in my best hiding spot yet. On Friday I sat at my desk, 4 days with no sign of the ants anywhere near my sweets, and reveled in my cleverness..

Yes ants, you may have won the last 300 battles but look who's laughing now! You never though to look in the taped-up bag inside the sealed box that's tied up with dental floss, hanging from the ceiling fan! ha!


sweet, chewy, coconutty (and ant free!) thai "macaroons"

.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you Honey. Outsmarting the ants! I always knew your brain would turn out to be larger than an ants'.

    ReplyDelete