The news today: Amelia is finally here in Thailand!
I have no tales of adventure to recount yet since Ivy and I picked her up at 11pm just last night. The three of us, after hugs and a full rundown of the flight over (who she sat with, what she ate, how her digestive system is treating her.. all the crucial information), fell promptly asleep on the taxi ride home. After being awakened by a concerned taxi driver gingerly prodding my knee with his finger, we staggered into the house with amelia's luggage and collapsed onto our mattresses and fell back asleep. Now I'm watching her drooling on the pillowcase I just washed as she works on sleeping off that jet lag - we'll see how long it takes her...
For breakfast here I usually eat some white rice and a fried egg with chilies and fish sauce, but this morning I have fruit in honor of millie's arrival. One of the fruits on the breakfast table today, and of my top 5 favorite fruits here, is the rose apple, or chom poo in Thai. A good rose apple epitomizes crispness - crunchy and incredibly juicy with a slightly sweet, subtle, floral sort of flavor, it's like eating dessert and drinking an entire glass of water at the same time.
#1 most refreshing fruit
Another fruit on the menu this morning, is another "apple" which is absolutely nothing of the sort. It's the custard apple and I have no idea what they call it in Thai, but when I lived in Spain I'd eat a variation of these things almost every day - we called them cherimoyas and I think they might actually have been grown locally there near Granada. The flesh of these Thai custard apples is segmented into slippery little white pods, each surrounding a smooth, hard black seed. The flavor is almost cloyingly sweet and isn't nearly as mind blowing as I remember the cherimoyas being, and the flesh to seed ratio (at least on the one that I'm eating now) is about 50/50, making it a frustrating and ultimately unrewarding little fruit to try to fill an empty belly with. I'll give it another chance sometime when I'm not ravenous.
one of the least satisfying (and least photogenic) fruits i've run across here
asd
asd

No comments:
Post a Comment