The word farang here means two things: foreigner and guava.. and maybe more that i'm unaware of. In any case, I can always get a laugh by walking up to a fruit vendor, pointing to the lumpy softball-sized green guavas saying, "farang" and then pointing to myself, "farang!" and then repeating it a couple times as they figure out what i'm saying in my atrocious accent. This is probably one of the lamest jokes these people have ever heard, but they're all wonderfully good-natured in humoring me and laughing along. as I walk away, however, they're probably muttering under their breath something to the effect of, "What is up with that strange, smiley farang?"
Well the farang here (the fruit) are far different than any guava I've eaten before. They're quite crunchy, sort of like an unripe pear in consistency, and not juicy whatsoever. The flesh is bright white, unlike the pink fleshed guavas I got accustomed to eating in Ecuador, but they do have the same annoying rock-hard little seeds embedded in the center of the fruit. Flavorwise, they're not very sweet but they do have that unmistakable guava taste. Lately I've been eating them almost daily.
In other farang news, my sister and I are receiving double the attention I normally get here, as now there are double the number of white people in the neigborhood. It's great fun having her here and introducing the neighbors to my little nawng sao.
Soon we're off to Bangkok for a few days, then to the ancient city of Ayutthaya for some photo ops...
sdfSoon we're off to Bangkok for a few days, then to the ancient city of Ayutthaya for some photo ops...

As always, love the updates on your food adventures. Keep them coming.
ReplyDelete