.
Three weeks of school left. That means three weeks left to complete a comical number of student evaluations, [the most challenging part of these has proven to be simply writing out the students' names. Wananatchaporn Rattananontachaisuk, for example, was a particularly frustrating one. they're all about that long.] create, administer and score final exams for my 160+ students, and finish the ridiculous amount of paperwork I've been diligently procrastinating for the past few months.
I've been working hard on saving money since, as of the end of term on March 10 I will no longer have a source of income. As lunch at the school is free for teachers and students, I gorge myself in the lunch room each day. Shoveling in bowlfuls of rice and curry and eggs and fish, not necessarily because I'm hungry, nor because I find the food particularly delicious. No, it's pretty much just the fact that it's free. That and the, The more I eat now, the less I have to pay to eat later mentality that grips me when I'm in ultra-frugal mode.
Yes, school lunch is one of the things I'm going to miss here in Samut Prakan. It's the highlight of the school day. My reward for having woken up and taught the first three class periods of the morning. There is just one meal option each day - whatever the school cooks feel like making. Sometimes it's sweet curry over rice or hot noodle soup or rice with scrambled eggs and ketchup (yup) or stir-fried veggies and pork. it's usually pretty good.
Well it seems I'm not the only one who looks forward to her school lunches. The kids can't really focus at the best of times, but in the class period before lunch they're particularly spacey. I gave a spelling quiz on Monday (bus/train/catch/take/airplane/car/van/ride) and this was what one of my grade 4 students handed in as her answers:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Yum - mutant drumstick...
ReplyDeleteYeah, the mutant ones are always the best.
ReplyDelete