.
it's Christmas day and I sit here at school, enjoying those most classic of holiday smells: burning garbage, deep fried fish paste and dog. I'm wearing a traditional holiday outfit: flip flops, chalk-encrusted pencil skirt and school uniform polo tee, and my hair is plastered back with sweat from the December mid-morning heat. I woke up this morning and found that I'd received a special visitor during the night... in the little yellow box I'd laid on the living room floor, two cockroaches had come to take the poison I'd left them and were gripping to their last moments of life. I also found a pile of dog shit on my doorstep as I raced out the door for work this morning!
Yesterday, in celebration of the holiday (the Christian origins of which none of the children - and adults, it would seem - here are aware of) the foreign teachers were asked to sing a song for the staff and student body. we elected the mercifully short Jingle Bell Rock. As we sang, Santa (teacher ryan) threw handfuls of candy out into the sea of screaming children.
After the morning madness, we spent a good hour presenting gifts (from whom?) to members of the administration and getting our photos taken, we had a talent show of sorts. The whole morning long, groups of reluctant students got up on stage to sing carols about the birth of christ and eating figgy pudding and folks dressed up like eskimos..
Then the high school students performed the grand finale performance, which was, of course, a sexy dance number to a popular (decidedly un-christmassy) pop/techno song.
Now I leave for a school-free week on Ko Phi Phi!
Thanks for the christmas packages, emails, phone calls - they made my day today! Hope you all have a warm, safe and fabulously food-filled holiday and new year.
Until 2010!
.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Santa clearly needs to eat some more Christmas sweets and put some weight on...
ReplyDeleteYou'll remember this Christmas more than any other I bet!
Michelle, your blog makes me laugh EVERY time I read it : ) I think sarcasm is exactly the way to deal with dog shit on your front steps...
ReplyDeleteOh, and I also wanted to tell you that I have a new Thai roommate here in Germany! She made me and my other roommates green curry last night, and while I know that's not even the tip of the iceberg of Thai food, it makes me jealous of all the yummy food you get to eat while you're there!! (She's going to teach me how to make it, so I don't have to rely on forever living with Thai people for my dose of curry.)
Anyways, I hope all is well!! While you're sweating it out in the tropics, it hasn't reached above freezing for weeks here! Ah!
xoxo, Keely
A Christmas to remember no doubt..
ReplyDeleteKeely - so good to hear from you! Green curry is one of my favorite dishes here.. so good. I bet you're enjoying some pretty fabulous treats over there too, though.
I'm thinking of you bundled up in frigid Europe drinking hot spiced wine as I eat a bowl of spicy papaya salad and ring the sweat out of my tshirt..
xox